“Information is the oil of the 21st century, and analytics is the combustion engine.”
– Peter Sondergaard
Analyzing the information you have can help you predict future outcomes. With predictive analytics, you can enhance the growing phase of your organization by gaining meaningful insights from your data.
In today’s results-centric world, educational institutions compete with one another to achieve success every year and strive to maintain that success in the future. Predictive analytics plays a vital role in the education system and helps boost the growth of schools by providing the best learning experience for students and sustaining enrollment. The role of predictive analytics in education is not only to improve the growth of the institution. It can also be used to identify areas of the institution that are lagging and set plans to enhance their quality, cultivate new opportunities, and detect current and future risks.
In this blog, I am going to discuss the following topics on the role of predictive analytics in education:
- What is predictive analytics?
- How predictive analytics can help transform education.
- Advantages of predictive analytics in education.
- Bold BI’s solution for predictive analytics in education.
What is predictive analytics?
Predictive analytics is a set of techniques that includes data mining, modeling, machine learning, statistics, and artificial intelligence that helps to predict future outcomes. Using historical data, you can apply mining models to predict future events. For example, let’s say you are a grocery shop owner and you need to increase profits. You could use predictive analytics models to analyze the purchasing patterns of your shoppers, and then use that information to recommend additional products and services to the customers most likely to purchase them. Even with a minor rate of success, this simple strategy would boost the store’s profits. By feeding predictive analytics models with the right historical data, you can set yourself and your organization up for success.
How predictive analytics can help transform education
In education, institutions can monitor the quality and success of their operations based on student data. This data can be used in analytics to predict future trends and results. The predictions provide details that can help guide and alter current strategies that maintain and improve the institution’s progress toward academic goals and toward providing a quality education to all students.
With the help of predictive analytics, the education system’s quality can be improved by monitoring student performance based on previous records like test results, assignment grades, and even personal feedback from students. This data helps the faculty enhance and improve training for difficult subjects, which in turn helps the students to excel in areas that were problematic for previous classes.
Predictive analytics can also be used to predict student attendance and keep students who are prone to absence informed, which can help ensure they maintain regular attendance. The analytics can be used by the faculty or institution to determine potential causes for a student’s attendance troubles, whether it’s their financial status, health conditions, or some other reason, and enable the school to provide assistance. This will reduce student dropout rates for the institution, and in turn maintain student enrollment.
Advantages of predictive analytics in education
- Predictive models can be used to identify students who need more attention in their studies before problems arise and to empower the faculty to find solutions like tutoring or special sessions.
- Predictive analytics can help administrators and teachers improve the institution wherever they face difficulties, such as:
- Uncovering reasons potential students decline enrollment.
- Identifying departments with higher dropout rates and using prediction results to formulate strategies to maintain consistent enrollment.
- Analyzing student feedback annually to find what works and what needs improvement to help keep the institution in a good position educationally and financially.
- Predictive analytics can be used to analyze students’ past achievements in sports and other physical activities and encourage them to continue their involvement in such activities. The same could be done for academic extracurricular activities as well.
- Predictive analytics can help identify trends that expand access and responsiveness in education, such as online classes on weekends or quick reviews during examination periods. After adopting an educational trend, its success can be monitored and improved to provide the best learning experience for all students.
Bold BI’s solution for predictive analytics in education
With Bold BI’s user-friendly and fully customizable dashboards, you can track and manage all metrics and key performance indicators of an educational institution.
In Bold BI’s school performance dashboard, using student enrollment records from 2018 and 2019, we have applied predictive analytics models and predicted student enrollment for the current academic year and the next two (2020, 2021, and 2022). This helps administrators plan for future faculty positions to help improve student performance, and it identifies opportunities where the quality of education can be improved. The effective decision-making enabled by this dashboard helps to maintain and grow student engagement for future academic years. You can also monitor other metrics related to the school’s performance. Predictive analytics is the best way for schools to provide quality educations for their students by forecasting future results and maintaining the success of the institution.
Predictive analytics helps you gain valuable insights about future results. It can be readily applied to an educational institution to help guide strategies that enable growth in terms of the quality of the education provided. I hope this blog post helps you better understand predictive analytics and its role in transforming education. If you have any questions, please feel free to post them in the comments section below. You can also contact us by submitting your questions through the Bold BI website or, if you already have an account, you can log in to submit your question.