The following show notes are from our webinar “Creating a Dashboard in 5 Minutes or Less with Bold BI,” which was presented by Syncfusion Product Solutions Engineer Aaron Melamed.
In this webinar, we demonstrate how Bold BI is the most effective way to create a dashboard.
Creating Your Dashboard
Use Bold BI’s Dashboard Designer to create a new dashboard or edit an existing one. It consists of a toolbar at the top, a toolbox on the left containing widgets, an Editor pane at the center of the page, and a Navigation panel on the right with a Data Source pane and a Properties pane.
You can find more information about each element of the Dashboard Designer in another video called “Working with the Bold BI Interface.”
Let’s start by opening the Dashboard Designer and adding a data source.
- Click the Add icon in the left navigation bar and choose Start from Scratch.
- Enter the name for your dashboard and click Add and Design.
- You will be redirected to the Dashboard Designer user interface with a blank dashboard. To add a data source, click the Data Source pane on the right side of the Dashboard Designer and click the Create New
- The list of supported data sources will be displayed. Under Categories, choose Files and select a data source.
- Enter the name for your data source. Choose the file.
- After the file uploads, click the Preview & Connect You will be redirected to the Choose Table(s) pop-up where you can select the required tables.
- Click Connect.
- You will be redirected to edit the data source designer page. From the Table Explorer, drag your data table into the Table Design Also, choose another table, Channel_Details, and join both tables using the column Channel_Id. Click the Merge button to join both tables.
- Add a few columns by adding expressions in the data source designer. Click the Expression icon available at the top of the toolbar.
- Finally, click Save.
You can find more information about each option inside the data source designer by watching the previously mentioned video: “Working with the Bold BI Interface.”
Working with Widgets
Let’s start configuring each widget for your dashboard. To begin with, display some of the important metrics by adding card widgets at the top of the dashboard.
Add a card widget in the Editor pane. In this widget, you can show information such as visitor count.
- Click the settings icon at the top of the widget to assign data to the widget and choose the Assign Data. The Assign Data tab holds a data configuration view. The numeric columns and numeric expressions are listed under the Measures section; other types of columns and dimension expressions are listed under the Dimensions section.
- Drag the Visitors column into the Actual Value section and change the widget name to Visitors Count.
- Add another card widget to show the customer acquisition cost that was created using an expression in the data source designer. Drag the CAC column into the Actual Value.
- Change the cost display format to currency. To do this, click the settings icon on the CAC field, choose Format from the drop-down menu, select the currency type and the “thousands” representation, and click OK. You can see the format of the cost has been changed to the currency type in the widget.
- Similarly, add two more card widgets to show the return on investment (ROI) and dormancy rate. Change the display format to percentage for the two widgets. For the ROI card widget, add a description defining the ROI marketing term.
Utilize the description area to explain terms or provide information to the user.
We hope you enjoyed this webinar and now have a few new ways to control how your data is managed. Be sure to keep an eye out for other upcoming Bold BI webinars.